Friday, March 13, 2009

rebellion at its finest

Seth is rapidly approaching the age of four. This means he is quickly becoming a real boy and no longer a baby or toddler or cute little cuddly thing that can do no wrong. Quite the contrary... he has developed a will and a passion and his own selfish little sin nature just like we all do as we grow. Every once in a while he will express it in a way that shocks me one way or another, either in a way that will infuriate me or strike me as hysterical. Tonight, it was the latter. My parents were visiting to help me out since I'm still kind of recouping from being sick. My dad had been playing with Seth all day and Seth was thoroughly worn out and starting to get pretty cranky. He was in one of those "melt down over every little thing" moods and it was being exasperated by Lilah who was quite strategically dancing on his last nerve. Lilah was being corrected for her role in aggravating Seth on purpose. But, Seth was being entirely too sensitive. So, I told him that he needed to go to his room and have a rest or "chill out time" for a few minutes until he was ready to join the rest of us with a better attitude. He was outraged at this directive and went storming off to his room crying and screaming and then yelled at the top of his lungs and with a passion that I have rarely seen from him that I was "just a poopy stinker!" Thank goodness that he was in his room and could not see me because I fell apart. We all did. It took me a solid 60 seconds to get myself back together so that I could go into his room and "deal" with him. So, please don't worry... he was corrected and did suffer a punishment for his blatant disrespect. We also discussed in depth why calling mommy a poopy stinker was unacceptable and what the Bible says about honoring your mommy and daddy. But I will admit that it was a difficult conversation to have with a straight face. Needless to say though, I am sure there will be a day when I will miss the time where calling mommy a poopy stinker was the worst and most rebellious thing my children could think to do. =)

2 comments: