Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Lunch with the kids

We are having kind of a lazy day today. Just playing and hanging out for the most part. So when lunch rolled around I had the time to try to think about a way to make a healthy lunch that the kids would eat. They wanted eggs so I decided to make them egg sandwiches. We had some steamed green beans for dinner last night so I chopped up the left overs and scrambled them into the eggs for the sandwiches. Seth HATES green beans. It's the one food we usually don't even force him to try anymore. So I was skeptical that he would actually eat this sandwich. He's not blind, afterall. It turns out he could be, however, colorblind. He gobbled down the sandwich. Loved it! Lilah even told him there were green beans in it. He said that she was not telling the truth and I just told him it was eggs, cheese, and mustard. And then he asked me what those "red" things were inside his sandwich. I said it was a vegetable and changed the subject. We have been looking for signs of color blindness in my boys because it is genetically very possible that they could be color blind, or more accurately, color deficient. All of my brothers are color deficient and the gene is carried on the x chromosome, so I may very well be a carrier. Seth's is not quite old enough to officially have tested for it, so we don't know for sure. But if red green beans are an indication... well, enough said. =) Seth and Lilah each ate an entire 2 egg sandwich, an orange, and then some pudding because they said they were still starving. They have grown into their big appetites for sure. Gone are the days of sharing food off mine and Josh's plates. On Sunday, they each ate a hamburger from McDonalds, 5 chicken nuggets and fries. On Saturday they each ate 4-5 pieces of apple breakfast cake and 5 sausage links. And we are cutting them off because they are constantly saying they're still hungry. It's crazy! So today I happily watched the kids scarf their sandwiches and orange slices and listened to them tell me stories about their imaginary pets. Seth has a pet lizard that peed all over the house yesterday and needs to be punished, apparently. And Lilah has a pet butterfly that poked her in the eye with a graham cracker and then climbed onto her sandwich, so she ate it.  hmmmm..... I just asked them to get better control over their naughty, invisible pets and dropped it. And just so that Isaac doesn't get left out... His newest thing is that everytime he wakes up in the morning or at naptime he lets me know by standing up in his crib and slamming it against the wall until I com get him. If Seth is the imaginative one, Isaac is his brutish, physical counterpart. Although he does seem to have something of a sensitive side because I often find him pulled up to the piano, playing the keys and singing along with his tune. cute. =)

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha, I was just telling my mom about how big Issac is. When Andy had him, he said Issac grabbed something and Andy said he had to fight it out of his hands. He was like, that kid is going to be a linebacker! :)

    ReplyDelete