Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ten Years... and counting.

We took this picture last year at the Henry Ford Museum after we moved to Detroit. We have a non-digital picture and me and Josh in this exact same spot, minus 3 kids, on our honeymoon ten years ago.




In light of the fact that I regularly write about all sorts of things ranging from a trip to the zoo to funny things the kids say, I feel I would be remiss if I did not take today to post a blog about my incredible husband. You see, today is our ten year wedding anniversary. And while I could write something that I love about Josh on any given day and mean it wholeheartedly, I find myself in a place of reflection on this mile stone day. Josh and I got married, quite irresponsibly if I do say so myself, at the not even slightly grown up age of 19. We met during my senior year of high school and became friends. We later landed together at Oral Roberts University and made our "special friendship" official. ORU had midnight curfews and after several months of having to pry ourselves away from each other to meet curfew in the dorms, we decided to get married and forget the whole business of ever being apart. In hindsight, I am shocked that more people didn't question us or tell us we were insane for getting married so young. As Josh often says, the real credit goes to my parents. Rather than throw him out of the house and tell him to come back in 3 years, they actually granted blessings when the sweating, nervous, teenager of a boy had the gaul to sit down in their living room and ask permission to marry their daughter just one year out of high school. But, my parents simply said, "when you know, you know" and supported us in our journey towards marriage. Josh's parents also gave us their blessing and did their best, along with my parents, to let the kids go. We got married the summer between my sophomore and junior years of college. We finished school, held down jobs, went to medical school, and then to residency, and now we can't believe it's already been ten years. Those years have held their fare share of stresses and challenges and they have been joyful and glorious at the same time. Josh and I got away this week to Washington DC without the kids to celebrate our anniversary and for Josh to attend a medical conference. It has been so relaxing. And as I sit here typing, with my husband sleeping next to me, I can't help but marvel at how time has gone by so quickly. Ten years and 3 kids later, we still can't bear to be apart for long. So in honor of our ten years together, I am going to make my top ten list of all the reasons I still adore my Josh.

1. Josh tries his best to give me everything I want, because he loves me. This is not necessary for me, but I love that he tries because it shows he cares about my happiness.

2. Josh is the most involved, passionate, and caring father. And THAT is sexy (am I right ladies?).

3. Even though he is crazy busy, Josh still often takes out the trash, loads the dishwasher, bathes the kids, walks the dog, and mops the floor just to give me a break.

4. He's always willing to watch the kids so that I can get out of the house if he is home. (This is HUGE for my sanity)

5. Josh always puts his family first, even if it means his career suffers. And after all this training in medicine, still makes it clear that he will walk away from it tomorrow if it is hurting our family. (I would never let him do that, but it's powerful to know where his priorities are)

6. Every morning that he is home, Josh always makes coffee and brings it to me because he knows how much I need it and don't usually have time to make it while getting everybody ready for the day. I really need it. Really.

7. We can still laugh together, make fun of the same things, be sarcastic and "get" each other.

8. He tells me daily, multiple times a day how much he loves me and still thinks I'm the woman of his dreams. (This is nice to hear when you're rounding on 30)

9. He comes home and wrestles with his kids the minute he walks in the door, before he does anything else for the night.

10. Josh's Love is patient and kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Josh's love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
(based on 1 Corinthians 13)

Happy ten years together, Josh. I love you more now than I ever have and I pray for 60 more years after this!

4 comments:

  1. Very sweet words. Happy 10!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to stop putting on my makeup in the morning until AFTER I read Julie's blog...you always make me cry like a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY 10 YEARS...and here's to your 60 more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I'm only gagging a little...

    Love you both so much and wish we could tell you in person how freakin' awesome you guys are. Can't wait to celebrate with you in June!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete