Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Seth's Big Day

So, as some of you might know... Seth has had kind of a preoccupation with death for a while now. Not like crazy, just very curious about great grandparents who have passed away and wanting to know about heaven, etc. So we talk about heaven pretty regularly when he starts to ask questions. Today he was asking about heaven and Jesus' house and wanted me to tell him all about it. So I told him what the Bible says about heaven and then I realized that all this time, I've never really shared with Seth what the alternative to heaven is... hell. So I told him the story (in a very simplistic way) about Jesus and Satan and Adam and Eve and our need to for forgiveness for the naughty things we do (sin). And we talked about how Jesus died on the cross for our sins and how everybody has a choice to make during their lifetime whether they will love and obey Jesus or not. Seth asked LOTS of questions throughout and I was shocked at his attention to the story and the details. I explained that when he was ready to ask Jesus to forgive his sins and ask Him to live in his heart and try to obey Him, that he could come to mommy and daddy and we would help him pray about it. He asked some more questions about the cross and sins and heaven and hell and then when the conversation was pretty much wrapped up, he bowed his head completely by himself and started praying "Jesus, I love You and want to obey You and live with You in Your house in heaven someday." I asked him a few more questions to make sure he understood what he was doing and then we prayed together for Seth's salvation. So we are very excited in the Vicena house today. We called daddy and Nina and Papa right away. I'll let Seth and Josh call grandma together tonight to share his story. Is his understanding of everything simplistic and minimal? For sure. But he has the basics and I believe today will lay the foundation for a strengthening and deepening of his decision as his understanding grows with time. I still remember the moment that I really understood salvation and what it meant for me. I was 4 years old and I thought about it for several weeks. I asked lots of questions and then came to a realization that I needed Jesus. I understaood that my sins were wrong and needed to be covered by the blood of Jesus Christ. Granted, my sins were hitting my brothers and telling mommy and daddy the occasional lie. But I remember feeling a true sense of conviction about the things I had done that I knew were wrong. I went to my parents and asked them to help me pray. They talked with me about it to make sure I really understood what I was doing. I specifically remember my prayer. "Dear Jesus, thank you for dying on the cross and please forgive me for my sins. Please come live in my heart and help me to obey you. And thank you for boats." Obviosusly, my understanding of my faith was simplistic. But it grew as I grew. And to this day, I recognize that day when I was four years old as my moment of salvation. That was the moment I chose to follow Christ. So I know Seth's understanding of his own faith is minimal right now. But I am praying that this day has laid the groundwork for a life of relationship with and service to His heavenly Father. Seth's spiritual birthday: July 21, 2009.

Luke 15:7
"In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

1 comment:

  1. awww, so exciting! Make sure you print out your blog and add it to the baby book:) I'm sure he'll love to read about it some day.

    ReplyDelete